Upfront Magazine Paul McCartney Double Page Spread

Good evening ladies and gents and welcome to another double page spread analysis. In this edition, we are looking at Upfront's spread featuring Paul McCartney.
Let's start with the image. We see McCartney up the neck of his guitar as if he is looking down the strings and into the lens. This is very eye catching as he is staring straight at the audience. The costume works very well as he is most known for performing in nice suits, as they used to in the early days of The Beatles. The plain blue background is simple yet effective as it allows the magazine to engage with a different colour in the colour scheme, which they have used throughout the article. For my magazine, my background is going to be predominantly red, so I will have to stick to a red, black and white colour scheme throughout my double page spread.
I really like how they have used the white text boxes over the image to have the headline and the sub header. This works really well here as it overlaps the image, meaning that the second thing that you'll see, after the image, is the headline and the sub header. This is exactly what the magazine wants the audience to do. The effect of the text boxes allows the black text colour to thrive, as without the background, the audience would not be able to see the text. It also keeps the headline looking neat. I can't say whether or not I will be using this feature yet as I am not sure if it will work with my choice of location shot as the image will (hopefully) provide a patch of dark background where I can use white font colour to have for my headline and article (if I take the photo right).
The next thing you notice on the page is the image in the top right, which shows McCartney recording in a studio. This gives the audience an outlook on the hard work that goes in to making and recording his songs, which allows the audience to respect him even more, increasing his reputation. It also gives die hard fans an insight to behind the scenes footage, which they will really want to see, making them buy the mag. I'm not too sure about a second image, as my image is going to span across both pages so I think it will look cluttered if I add a second image.
The next thing you notice is the pull quote from the article. This stands out brilliantly as it is in bold and quite large text. It isn't anything exciting, but it makes you want to read the rest of the article for context on why he's talking about Kings of Leon. Instead of using a pull quote in the middle of the article, I think I will use mine as either a headline/sub-header.

Comments